Patient Group Newsletter
Winter 2023 - Issue 67
Pressures upon healthcare services continue to mount but the team at the Budleigh Salterton Medical Centre are making strenuous efforts to meet demand and they remain alert to changes they could make so as to continue to provide a good service.
We are fortunate in Budleigh Salterton and surrounding villages that we also have access to a wide range of voluntary services that we can call upon in addition to approaching the Medical Centre.
NHS Devon’s Integrated Care Board and the Royal Devon University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust are working more closely with the Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise sector and I have seen over recent months how that work is developing. This enables people to look after themselves in their own homes wherever possible and helps to prevent hospital admissions as well as enabling more prompt discharge from hospital.
We would ask that people try to be patient with the Medical Centre staff, they are trying to help but sometimes it is just not possible to respond as quickly as they would like to. We are aware of limited poor behaviour towards staff but are delighted to see that requests for feedback from patients is overwhelmingly positive.
The festive season will soon be upon us and your PPG wishes you and your families a very happy time and a healthy 2024.”
Sue Lake, PPG Chairperson
Women’s Health – Evening Smear Clinic
Following a successful 3 month pilot the practice will continue to offer an evening smear clinic for those women who struggle to attend the practice during normal working hours.
If you would benefit from an evening appointment, please contact the medical centre on 01395 441 212 and our reception team will be happy to book this.
How to set up your login for your NHS App
If you have access to the internet via a smartphone or tablet, please download the NHS APP so you can manage appointments, order repeat prescriptions, get health and safety advice, view your medical record securely.
What you will need to set up your NHS login:
- An email address
- A mobile phone number
- A (photo) passport OR (photo) driving licence
What you need to do step by step:
- Once you enter your email address, you will be sent a 6 digit security code via email. You will be asked to enter this code to verify your email address and press continue.
- Next, you will be asked to give your mobile phone number. Another 6 digit security code will be sent to you via text message. A security code will be sent to your mobile every time you log in.
- Once you enter your code, you will be asked to verify your ID, you are asked to provide a pictures of your passport of driving licence.
- After you download the app, you will need to set up an NHS login and prove who you are. The app will then securely connect to information from your GP surgery.
- If your device supports fingerprint or facial recognition, you can use it to log in to the NHS app each time, instead of using a password and security code.
Practice Activity September 2023
Telephone Calls Answered
Telephone Calls Dialled
Letters Recieved and Sent
Health Centre Clinics
The surgery continues to hold nurse led clinics and minor surgery clinics at both Seachange and the medical centre. The receptionist will advise at the time of booking where your appointment is.
If you are in any doubt, please contact the medical centre on 01395 441 212 and ask for confirmation.
How to contact the Medical Centre
The medical centre is available, Monday to Friday, 8.00am-6.00pm (excluding Bank Holidays) and can be contacted in the following ways:
- Telephone: 01395 441 212
- NHS App (24/7): Send messages through your medical record and request medication.
- SystmOnline App (24/7): Send messages through your medical record and request medication
- Patient Triage: 8am-5pm Mon-Fri – excluding Bank Holidays
Please phone for anything which is urgent and requires same day advice – we appreciate there can be waits, but these will not exceed 20 minutes and we ask for your patience.
Mental Health Crisis Contacts
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Up to one in four people will experience poor mental health at some point in their lives. They could be caused by stressful events such as losing a job, bereavement or money issues. These feelings can often be intense, but are often temporary. With the right support and help people make good, positive steps towards recovery. Please visit our website for more information and support to help with your wellbeing.
Contingency plan out of hour contacts in a crisis are:
- Crisis Team – Tel: 0300 555 5000 (Adults and Children)
- NHS Service - Tel: 111
- Moorings Crisis Cafe (Exeter) 10am-Midnight - Tel: 07990 790920
- Samaritans (24/7) - Tel: 116 123
- Saneline - Tel: 0300 304 7000
- Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services – Tel: 01392 374900
Christmas 2023 and New Year 2024
Budleigh Salterton Medical Centre will be closed on
- Christmas Day Monday 25th December 2023
- Boxing Day Tuesday 26th December 2023
- New Year’s Day Monday 1st January 2024
On all other days our opening hours of 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday, will remain the same.
We take this opportunity to wish all our patients a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year.
Patient Group Commitee
- Sue Lake - Chairperson
- David Forward - Vice Chairperson
- Deborah Mitchell - Secretary
Peter Frean, Robert Harland, Chris Kitson, Mark McGlade, Lynette Oram, Michael Rice, Jacqui Ruhlig, Richard Waller, Judy Wright, Tania Davis
- Budleigh Salterton Medical Centre, 1 The Lawn, Budleigh Salterton, EX9 6LS
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.